What to Expect when Water Damage has occurred in your Property
Production technician monitoring the walls for moisture.
Lets say your home got water damage and you have to call an emergency service like SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego. Here are a couple things you should expect before help arrives. First we will talk about steps you can take on your own, and then the steps that SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego will handle.
Steps you Can Take on your Own
- First you want to make sure you find the source of water, and shut of the main line.
- You want to make sure that everyone is safe and are in the driest part of the house.
- Place towels on the outside of the puddle, so that the water stops from spreading.
- Make sure to immediately call your local SERVPRO. Water causes mold to spread like rapid fire. It also weakens the structure of your home if left wet for extended hours.
*If you do not feel comfortable doing these things skip to step 4 and call SERVPRO immediately.
SERVPRO Technicians Steps
- SERVPRO will begin by first drying the area and then finding the loss.
- Once the loss is found they will figure out the category of the water. Here is an article previously written on our blog about the categories of water.
- Once the category of water has been found SERVPRO will then begin the restoration and drying process.
- The drying process includes having fans in your home. This does require the fans to be on at all times. It is a bit noisy, but is important that the fans remain on at all times if not this will delay the process.
- The restoration process can sometimes be tedious for residents. Technicians are sometimes tearing drywall down and containing areas that you may not have access to.
- SERVPRO technicians make an effort to go to the damaged property everyday once the job has started. They do this to ensure the property is truly drying.
- Sometimes when mold has spread this needs to be restored as well.
Make sure to call SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego at (619) 280-2398 for any home emergencies.
What do you do when water strikes?
Standing water in kitchen area in San Diego, CA.
Water damage happens in many forms. It comes in through floods, tremendous amounts of rain, and even the unfortunate circumstance - through toilets or sinks. Regardless of how the waterflow comes in the situations are similar in our human reaction. There's lots of water left on the floor, you are heightened with stress, you can’t think straight, you have millions of thoughts crossing your mind. You’ve heard about these situations before. It’s happened to your neighbors, family and friends. But you never thought it would actually happen to you. So what do you do when the water strikes? You strike back. Here are some steps to take to when water damage has entered your property.
- Wear the proper equipment, (have rubber boots and gloves)
- Shut off the water supply to your home
- Water and electricity don’t mix, don’t forget to shut off the electric supply as well
- Unplug all of your electronics and move them away from the effected area
- Lay down towels to soak up water from spreading
- Call SERVPRO of San Diego East to restore the damage and dry up the area completely and thoroughly
Remember to call your insurance agent. DIY is in right now, but it’s important not to practice this when water damage has happened. SERVPRO of San Diego East uses specific drying equipment that will dry water completely. This is to avoid water from spreading into walls and creating mold.
The Right Way to Prepare for the Rain
Roof leaking from rain storm in San Diego, CA.
There has been a lot of rain in San Diego, CA these past couple of days. SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego has worked on multiple projects that were due to the surplus of rain. We had several people call us in the late of night due to leaks caused by the rain. Sometimes these leaks are unavoidable, but we want to prep you for the next storm.
There are various forms on getting prepared for the rainy weather. Here are some tips to avoid rain damage.
- Plant shade trees or palm trees at least 20 feet away from your home.
- If you have gutters, make sure they are clean.
- Ensure there are no leaks on your roof, I will add an article below with specifics.
- Check for damage on your resident housing and repair if needed.
- Weatherstrip windows and doors when you are aware of rain forecast.
- Have your trees trimmed.
How to Find & Repair Roof
Managing A Property Before and During Water and Fire Loss
A property manger making decisions after water damage.
There have been abundant amounts of rain in San Diego, CA. The storm keeps on coming. Property managers and owners have a lot of decisions to make during this time. Tenants are heavily relying on property managers to make decisions for them. It can be very stressful having to adapt to tenants' needs and desires.
Here are a couple things to be mindful of before water or fire damage:
- Making sure your tenant purchases renters insurance.
- Establishing the future needs of each tenant.
- Having a list of different services when casualties hit.
- When writing contracts make sure to add what you cover and do not cover during storms, or water and fire loss.
- Making sure you keep the tenants informed of the restoration process.
Here are a couple things to be mindful of after water or fire damage:
- Call SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego immediately to establish cause of loss.
- Making sure you let all tenants know the occurrence at your facility.
- Find out whether tenants will need to be temporarily moved out.
- Making sure you have comfortable living or working spaces for things that have been lost such as: running heater, AC, or water.
If you are experiencing such losses please don’t hesitate to call your local SERVPRO or SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego. We are best reached at (619) 280-2377.
The Finishing Touch to Water and Fire Damage
Dirty carpet being cleaned.
SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego is an emergency service that is ready to perform during storms, fires, and water damage crisis. There’s a lot that goes into each circumstance. SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego is committed to fully restoring your home or property. That is why we also provide cleaning services. One of our final cleaning service that is often looked passed is carpet cleaning.
Carpet cleaning is our finishing touch, it adds a brand new feel and smell to your residence. In the event of water damage your carpet may have an unusual smell to it. Your carpet may even be stained from soot or soil. When fire damage is involved there might be hidden residue that needs to be cleared for health reasons. We make sure your carpet has specific cleaning based on the material.
Carpet cleaning is an added bonus to your emergency. If you would only like certain areas cleared make sure you let a technician know. Call SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego at (619) 280-2398 to clean your home’s water or fire damage emergencies.
What is SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego’s drying process?
Extreme water loss in Indianapolis.
SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego uses state-of-the-art water removal equipment along with a drying process catered to best fit your home. So what exactly does the drying process look like? Here are a couple things to expect when water damage has struck your home.
The drying process begins with inspection of loss and source of water entry. Our goal is to stop water flow immediately to prevent additional water damage. Once the source of water has been established we begin moisture mapping. Moisture mapping is how SERVPRO keeps track of damp areas within your home. We keep track of this throughout the whole process. Then we bring in equipment to dry the moisture after a few days the damaged areas should be all dried up.
Call SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego at (619) 280-2377 for any of your water damage losses.
Simplify your Move Out Day
A building had a pipe break and needed there items evacuated.
Moving your items can be a tedious task and also very time consuming. Did you know that SERVPRO of San Diego East can help you move your items. SERVPRO uses moving terms such as ‘pack out’ and ‘pack in’. Pack out is the service for moving contents or items out of a home or building. Pack in is putting items or contents back into a home or building. You may want to use our “move out” services for the following scenarios:
- If you are moving to a new home.
- If you are remodeling your current home.
- If your home has experienced a recent storm.
- Repairing damages of a fire.
- If you need to move out your items and place in storage.
There are some steps we take in order to get a move-out started. The first step is preparing the initial scope and estimate, the next step is conduct a pre-move-out review of your items, and the final step is to prepare for the move-out.
You can request packing materials if you have certain items you prefer not to be touched by the move out crew. This is typically for items that are valuable.
Make sure to call SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego at (619) 280-2398 for any of your moving away assistance.
Rain the Greatest Indicator of Infrastructure
Standing water in living room.
San Diego, CA has been experiencing a lot of rain. Rain is a great indicator of quality of construction to buildings and homes. Rain comes with a flood of emotions as well as water damage.
Some possible losses consist of:
- Flood in your home.
- Ground water entering your home or property through the ground.
- Roof leaks.
- Sewage backup.
- Pipes bursting.
When such losses occur it is important to take action immediately. Water damage may not seem hazardous, but it can cause mold and make the infrastructure of your property or home fragile. It can lead to drywall softening and collapsing that could either damage your valuables or put yourself and those around you at risk.
If you are experiencing any losses make sure to call SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego at (619) 280-2377.
What is Water Damage?
Category 1 flood in a home.
Water damage can come from various events. Water may enter a structure from broken water pipes, leaking water heaters, washing machine overflow, roof leaks, fire-fighting efforts during a fire, sump pump failure, flooding, sewer backups, and many other sources. If the water is from a clean source, such as a broken water pipe, restoration of materials is much more likely. Water damage is also handled in different ways depending on the category.
Categories are terms SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego uses to appropriately mark what processes need to occur during remediation. The categories are classified in three groups. Category 1, 2, and 3.
Category 1: is water damage that is not contaminated. Some examples of category 1 is a pipe bursting, overflowing sinks, or defective appliances, and natural disasters. Toilet water can be considered category 1 if no chemicals are in the water and does not contain human waste.
Category 2: is water damage that carries waste products such as chemical, but does not contain human waste. Some examples are overflowing washing machine, dishwasher leaks from dish waste. Other examples would be water from aquariums or waterbeds.
Category 3: is water damage that is unsanitary it is also known as black water. This water most likely contains human waste. Some examples are sewage back-ups.
Please make sure you call SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego if you have any water damage.
So what exactly is mold?
Mold discovered in bottom floor on cement wall.
Do you have black or green looking clusters of spots on the wall, floor, bathrooms, kitchen, sinks. If your answer is yes then you might have mold. But what exactly is mold? How does mold occur? I am going to outline this for you.
What is mold?
WebMD states that “mold is a type of fungus that consists of small organisms found almost everywhere” thus making it impossible to actually completely remove mold. Mold comes in different colors such as: white, black, green, orange, or purple.
Is mold bad?
Mold is not bad. Mold breaks down dead leaves, plants, and trees helping our environment create soil. But this is an issue inside our homes or properties. We do not want mold breaking down the material in our homes.
How does mold reproduce?
Mold reproduces through moisture. Having a pipe leak or rain come into your home needs immediate drying. Now you know that mold is found everywhere in microscopic levels and can easily create mold with certain doses of water.
How to control mold?
Mold is found everywhere, so all we can do is control it. Reduce moisture. If you are aware of any leaks in your home make sure to fix them immediately and dry up the area completely (SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego can help with that.) Also if you have current mold clean it up and restore the area – make sure that root of the issue is fixed or else you have to consistently keep restoring those effected areas.
I hope you learned a lot about mold, and remember it is best to contact professionals like SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego.