Recent Water Damage Posts
Signs it's Time to Replace your Water Heater
Plumber replacing water heater.
Having a water heater break is devastating; it may feel like the end of the world. Fortunately it’s not. Water heaters warm the water within a home or property. It is the process of heat transfer that uses energy source to heat water above temperature. If the water heater is broken you are left to only with cold water.
Here are ways you can tell you may need to replace your water heater:
- You only have cold water.
- Your water gets warm, but never hot.
- Your water heater is making a lot of noise.
- Your hot water is discolored.
- Your water has a metallic smell or taste.
- Water is leaking around your water heater.
- Your water heater is getting old.
- Soil or residue at the base of your water heater.
We are hoping that your water heater never leaks or explodes and are able to replace it instead of having a flood or other water damage related issues. Know that if there is ever an issue SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego is her to help!
SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego is a company with expertise in water damage and fire damage. If you are looking for an emergency restoration company in San Diego make sure to call (619) 280-2398 we are open 24 hours 7 days a week. We handle all types of emergencies such as: flood damage and restoration, water extraction, rain storms, groundwater, and fire damage repairs.
What to Expect when Water Damage has occurred in your Property
Production technician monitoring the walls for moisture.
Lets say your home got water damage and you have to call an emergency service like SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego. Here are a couple things you should expect before help arrives. First we will talk about steps you can take on your own, and then the steps that SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego will handle.
Steps you Can Take on your Own
- First you want to make sure you find the source of water, and shut of the main line.
- You want to make sure that everyone is safe and are in the driest part of the house.
- Place towels on the outside of the puddle, so that the water stops from spreading.
- Make sure to immediately call your local SERVPRO. Water causes mold to spread like rapid fire. It also weakens the structure of your home if left wet for extended hours.
*If you do not feel comfortable doing these things skip to step 4 and call SERVPRO immediately.
SERVPRO Technicians Steps
- SERVPRO will begin by first drying the area and then finding the loss.
- Once the loss is found they will figure out the category of the water. Here is an article previously written on our blog about the categories of water.
- Once the category of water has been found SERVPRO will then begin the restoration and drying process.
- The drying process includes having fans in your home. This does require the fans to be on at all times. It is a bit noisy, but is important that the fans remain on at all times if not this will delay the process.
- The restoration process can sometimes be tedious for residents. Technicians are sometimes tearing drywall down and containing areas that you may not have access to.
- SERVPRO technicians make an effort to go to the damaged property everyday once the job has started. They do this to ensure the property is truly drying.
- Sometimes when mold has spread this needs to be restored as well.
Make sure to call SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego at (619) 280-2398 for any home emergencies.
What do you do when water strikes?
Standing water in kitchen area in San Diego, CA.
Water damage happens in many forms. It comes in through floods, tremendous amounts of rain, and even the unfortunate circumstance - through toilets or sinks. Regardless of how the waterflow comes in the situations are similar in our human reaction. There's lots of water left on the floor, you are heightened with stress, you can’t think straight, you have millions of thoughts crossing your mind. You’ve heard about these situations before. It’s happened to your neighbors, family and friends. But you never thought it would actually happen to you. So what do you do when the water strikes? You strike back. Here are some steps to take to when water damage has entered your property.
- Wear the proper equipment, (have rubber boots and gloves)
- Shut off the water supply to your home
- Water and electricity don’t mix, don’t forget to shut off the electric supply as well
- Unplug all of your electronics and move them away from the effected area
- Lay down towels to soak up water from spreading
- Call SERVPRO of San Diego East to restore the damage and dry up the area completely and thoroughly
Remember to call your insurance agent. DIY is in right now, but it’s important not to practice this when water damage has happened. SERVPRO of San Diego East uses specific drying equipment that will dry water completely. This is to avoid water from spreading into walls and creating mold.
What is SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego’s drying process?
Extreme water loss in Indianapolis.
SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego uses state-of-the-art water removal equipment along with a drying process catered to best fit your home. So what exactly does the drying process look like? Here are a couple things to expect when water damage has struck your home.
The drying process begins with inspection of loss and source of water entry. Our goal is to stop water flow immediately to prevent additional water damage. Once the source of water has been established we begin moisture mapping. Moisture mapping is how SERVPRO keeps track of damp areas within your home. We keep track of this throughout the whole process. Then we bring in equipment to dry the moisture after a few days the damaged areas should be all dried up.
Call SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego at (619) 280-2377 for any of your water damage losses.
Possible Losses During Rain
Standing water in living room.
San Diego, CA has been experiencing a lot of rain lately. Rain is a great indicator of quality of construction to buildings and homes. Rain comes with a flood of emotions as well as water damage.
Some possible losses consist of:
- Flood in your home.
- Ground water entering your home or property through the ground.
- Roof leaks.
- Sewage backup.
- Pipes bursting.
When such losses occur it is important to take action immediately. Water damage may not seem hazardous, but it can cause mold and make the infrastructure of your property or home fragile. It can lead to drywall softening and collapsing that could either damage your valuables or put yourself and those around you at risk.
If you are experiencing any losses make sure to call SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego at (619) 280-2377.
What is Water Damage?
Category 1 flood in a home.
Water damage can come from various events. Water may enter a structure from broken water pipes, leaking water heaters, washing machine overflow, roof leaks, fire-fighting efforts during a fire, sump pump failure, flooding, sewer backups, and many other sources. If the water is from a clean source, such as a broken water pipe, restoration of materials is much more likely. Water damage is also handled in different ways depending on the category.
Categories are terms SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego uses to appropriately mark what processes need to occur during remediation. The categories are classified in three groups. Category 1, 2, and 3.
Category 1: is water damage that is not contaminated. Some examples of category 1 is a pipe bursting, overflowing sinks, or defective appliances, and natural disasters. Toilet water can be considered category 1 if no chemicals are in the water and does not contain human waste.
Category 2: is water damage that carries waste products such as chemical, but does not contain human waste. Some examples are overflowing washing machine, dishwasher leaks from dish waste. Other examples would be water from aquariums or waterbeds.
Category 3: is water damage that is unsanitary it is also known as black water. This water most likely contains human waste. Some examples are sewage back-ups.
Please make sure you call SERVPRO of Mid-City San Diego if you have any water damage.